HOME   •   BLOG   •   CONTACT US   •   PRODUCTS   •   TESTIMONIALS

2016 Honey Bee Season Progress

Greetings from wonderful West Virginia,

Spring is well on its way, and lots of outdoor activities are keeping us very busy. For one, in our bee yards we have been diligently controlling swarming in our colonies. With the variable weather, rain, cold, and windy at times, the bees has spent most of the past 11 days indoors, and have started to eat the little they’ve gather in the earlier part of spring.

We had an early start this year, but have been waiting for the past month on the state inspector to visit with us and get our honey bees inspected for release. During the wait for the state apiarist, the splits have exploded and it has been quite the battle to contain swarming. We have been busy moving them back to 10-frame equipment for the extra space and slow down the swarming due to overcrowded conditions.

As I captured one swarm, the mother of all swarms landed next to me.

As I captured one swarm, the mother of all swarms landed next to me.

Of course without the inspection, we are unable to ship our queens or nucs across state lines. The good news is that we have confirmation that he will be here on May 11th. In the event of yet another delay we will have to go to plan B.

We are setting the Memorial Day week for shipping of our nucs, and the 28-29 for local pick up from 7:30am – 9:00am. Please make arrangement with us for pick up, you must have an appointment, do not show up to pick up your nucs without one. Our queens will start shipping as soon as we are inspected.

Once again, thank you for your patience, your patronage and support. Here is to a great 2016.

Cordially,

Charles Walter

12 Comments to 2016 Honey Bee Season Progress

1. Robert Dodd's Gravatar Robert Dodd
    May 10, 2016 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Hi Walter,

Can I arrange for pickup on Sat or Sun June June 4th or 5th. I will be out of the country for Memorial day weekend and don’t return until June 2nd.

Let me know.

Thanks

Bob Dodd
    410-562-9525

2. Deanna Sinclair-Parker's Gravatar Deanna Sinclair-Parker
    May 10, 2016 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the update. Great news to hear the bees are strong and doing well this spring! We are just starting to blossom out here in the NW northern part of lower Michigan. So by the time the bee arrive things will be in full bloom and will have plenty to eat! The large alfalfa field next to us has not bloomed yet, nor has our fruit trees, they are just now starting to show signs of budding. It’s been cooler this spring. Deanna

3. zach jeffreys's Gravatar zach jeffreys
    May 10, 2016 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Charles glad to hear the news, I would like to schedule a pick up for Saturday the 28th at 8am. Thank you Zach

4. Tim Poling's Gravatar Tim Poling
    May 11, 2016 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Good day Charles, sounds like those girls are really keeping you busy. With all the activity and trying to control swarms, would there be a chance to make an appointment to pick up sooner than Memorial weekend. Wouldn’t mind to get started here to allow the girls to quickly get acquainted with the area and rearing brood. If not, no worries, just wondered…Tim Poling & Paul Kines

5. David Knox's Gravatar David Knox
    May 12, 2016 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Hello Charles,

I would like to pickup bees on the 28th at 7:30.

Thanks,

David

6. David Powers's Gravatar David Powers
    May 14, 2016 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Mr. Walter,

I would like to schedule pick up of my two (2) medium NUCs for Saturday, May 28th, at 8:30am. Thank you.

David Powers

7. kamie mcglynn's Gravatar kamie mcglynn
    May 16, 2016 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Walter,
    I am in the same situation as Robert, except I won’t be back in the country until June 8th. I will send you an email
    –kamie

8. Chandra Coffee's Gravatar Chandra Coffee
    May 19, 2016 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Charles,

I am very glad the bees are doing well this spring. From my understanding. ..you were waiting on inspection of hives. The state inspector has inspected your apriary last week. Can you kindly ship the two nucs that I have paid you in full for. The shipping was already paid as well. I have tried for weeks to contact you via phone, left messages and sent numerous emails…with no response from you.
    Can you kindly ship my bees!

I hope everyone is not having this kind of trouble and avoidance from this apriary.

Thanks.